Monday, February 1, 2010

Life in "the Garden"

To be spiritually alive, "zoe" life, we have a relationship that is fully in contact and union with God, through Jesus Christ. Like Adam, we were created to be in union with God, which is in fact the real essence of the New Testament. When Adam sinned, his original union with God was severed. It has been God's plan since the Garden of Eden that He restore mankind back to that state of relationship.



 Let's take a look at Adam in the beginning, when he was in the Garden. In his original state Adam had three major areas that were provided to him by God:


Significance
Adam was extremely "significant" in the original plan of God. Adam was created in the image and likeness of the Godhead, and was given rule over all the creatures on earth. He had a purpose, and that was to rule over all the creatures. He had been given authority and dominion over the earth and it's inhabitants. Satan was there, but he did not have dominion there. Satan did not have authority until Adam and Eve ate of the apple, sinning against God.

Genesis 1:26-27
26. Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." 27. And God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.



Safety and Security
In the Garden all of Adam's needs were met. He was given the plants for food. He had the animals for companionship. He lacked nothing. He had the Presence of God with him, so Adam had no worries or problems. God took care of everything. There was no bad weather, so he needed no specific "shelter". His need for clothing had not been established. No need for ATM's or grocery stores. No searching for the right clothes. No worries.

Genesis 1:29
Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you;


Belonging
God and Adam had a wonderful relationship. They had intimate conversations and time of "walking together" in communion. Then later, God wanted Adam to have a human companion, so he created Eve for him. This brought another sense of "belonging" to Adam. Man, woman, and God. The perfect marriage and the perfect home and the perfect environment.

Genesis 2:18
Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him."

Let's think about these three areas in our lives today as Christians.


We have significance with God.
God has given each one of us a purpose for our lives. We may not recognize it or feel it, but it is there. Our first and primary reason for significance is that God has chosen us as His children, we are members of His family. We have an inheritance from the Father. God has chosen us as His sons and daughters and because of that place in His family, He seeks to have a relationship with us. God made us for relationship with Himself.
Now, more specific purpose can also be seen in our individual lives. You may be called to be a Mother who loves, nurtures and trains her children. You may have a job that allows you to "minister" while at work, such as a nurse or a teacher; someone who comes in contact with the public and can demonstrate God's love to others. You may be a youth teacher in Sunday School, or maybe God has given you the ability to help others with financial gifts, or time, or listening to someone who needs to know there is someone who cares. God has gifted us each with special gifts and talents. Each one of us has significance because of these.


Safety and Security
I believe as Christians we can "count" on God to be there for us. Even in our everyday needs of paying bills, finding a home, and choosing the right car. Seeking God for protection physically, relationally, and even emotionally. God has capable and mighty hands. He asks us to depend on Him for our needs; not to worry and fret over situations and "predicaments". I cannot tell you the number of times that my husband and I have been in what could have turned out as a large "mess". My husband is so faithful in trusting God. When we are tempted to wring our hands and pull our hair, he reminds me that we need to go to God; to turn the situation over to Him, and then trust Him. Whether you are facing bankruptcy, ill health, or even someone who would like to inflict harm toward you or a loved one, take the situation to God, ask Him to cover and protect you, then for God to work it out according to His will.


Belonging
God placed Adam and Eve, with Himself, in the perfect relationship. They were together in relationship that was intimate and enjoyable. God knows our heart and our desires as humans for other human relationships.
First of all He desires we nurture our relationship with Himself. Then He gives us human relationships; spouse, friends, children, social acceptance. The key here is to put God first in your time and your attention, then seek Him for the right mate, friendships, church, social activities, sports etc.
We may not get to "choose" our children, but I know God will make these relationships right also. Seek God for the "right place" to be and the right atmosphere for your life. Poor choices in our friends and social acquaintances can be life altering.
I've learned that I don't have to be in the middle of it all, or "in the loop". I'm allowing God to place me in the environments and situations I need to be and then trust Him with the outcome. Belonging to Him is the most important sense of belonging that we can find.

How do you see these areas in your own life being looked after by God?
Is there one of these areas that you have problems seeing God work?
If even one of these is out of balance, it can effect your relationship with God and those with whom you are in relationship.

Tomorrow we will look at our "negative inheritance" after "the fall"; Adam and Eve's big "oops"!
love,
Debra

8 comments:

  1. Debra,
    Being out of balance with God is like a washing machine clanging out of balance. Sooner or later, it gets your attention. I am looking forward to your comments on "the fall".
    XXXOOO's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debra
    Hope you had a good weekend!
    This is an area where the rubber hits the pavement-isn't it. As a Christian there are many area's in my life that I continually have to turn over to my Father and have Him pull up the slack - as a mother I prayed this often. But I couldn't imagine trying to do this without the Holy Spirit guiding me and showing me where I have lack in my life. It is only through the Holy Spirit that God can move mountains in my life. Jesus left us so He could send His Spirit to dwell in us...praise God! This is what this life is all about, God is teaching us to be overcomers...to be sons...to walk with Him and hear His voice. To trust Him to the end, to be able to say as Job Though He slay me yet will I love Him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sweet Holy Spirit. Sweet Heavenly Dove. Stay right here with us. Filling us with you love. And for these blessings we lift our hearts in praise. Not a doubt we'll know that we have been revived when we shall leave this place."

    Blessings to you and your wonderful ministry. It speaks directly to my soul. God-sent!

    Love, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clinging to my Heavenly Father,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you don't mind. I just added a link to your blog to arise 2 write.
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am here Debra-
    thinking about this.
    You are not alone.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debra. I printed this out and took it to the Drs with me today. I read it over and over. What you wrote about if even one of these is out of balance, it can effect your relationship with God and those with whom you are in relationship. That hit home. I've been thinking about how there is a verse in the bible that tells us even anyone can love those that are nice to you but as a Christian we should love those who do not love us back. Paraphrasing of course. My home seems to be under attack and either I am the worst person in the world or I'm fighting an uphill battle but I'm trying to turn cheeks and trying to love but I feel under attack by my household. Ya'll must think I'm crazy but I promise I try so hard. Please keep me and my home in your prayers.

    Thank you. Love & Hugs....Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot. I just wanted to tell you I just love the picture above of Eden. I'm looking forward to tomorrows lesson. Thank you for all you do for us Debra.

    Love you, Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please leave a comment, big or small.